logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] test files to figure out Garmin encodings?

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.demon.co.uk on Mon May 18 22:37:00 BST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 08:03:47AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> The basic idea is to take a lat/lon to start (to make the map 'near'
> someone working on this) and then to have a grid of points spaced 50m,
> roughly square, that has each possible codepoint in some range known to
> exist.  Then a second grid with a N-S road and then every 50m E-W roads
> of every type on the left and on the right some normal road with every
> access combination.  They could be be labeled with names that have the
> codepoint, and eventually the meaning, drawing from the database of
> meaning/codepoint mappings.

There is something similar built into mkgmap.  If you use 'test-map:all-elements' where
the filename would normally go, then you will get such a map.

See: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/Source_formats

If you run this program with the environment variables BASE_LAT and
BASE_LONG set to something just SW of where you are then the map generated
will be located near where you are.  Otherwise the default location is at
(51.7, 0.24).

Others were talking about testing for languages, and there is a similar program
written called uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.MakeTestLangMap. It may not still
work, but if it doesn't probably wouldn't take long to fix.

..Steve