logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] test files to figure out Garmin encodings?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon May 18 19:19:24 BST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:08:47AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > I made an experiment on my Edge 705 a couple of weeks ago, generating
> > some non-ASCII labels in cp1252, and many code points were displayed as
> > a substitution character.  I think that it would be useful to test each
> > Garmin code page on as many devices as possible to find out which code
> > points are really supported.
>
> I wasn't thinking about character sets, but codepoints for points of
> interest and road types.

A code point is a code point.  I was thinking of exploring all 256 code
points of each code page supported by Garmin's 8-bit format.

> > It seems to me that the easiest way to achieve this could be to
> > write a script that generates an *.osm file and translate the file
> > with mkgmap.  That would also enable some regression testing later,
> > if we archive the generated output.
>
> That will only work with POI codepoints that are in the right hand side
> of the osm->garmin translation tables.  I was thinking about being able
> to explore the entire possible space of garmin values.  But perhaps it's
> well known enough not to be necessary.

So, you were thinking the same as me, after all.  When I looked at the
character set stuff, it seemed to me that there is an option for directly
mapping input strings to output, without any translation taking place.
If I'm wrong, it would make sense to implement such an option for this
kind of purposes.  Or just an option to input Garmin code points in some
\x notation.

Best regards,

	Marko