logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Re: Lower case option & special codes

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.demon.co.uk on Mon May 11 22:39:12 BST 2009

Hi David

> Lower case letters are used by Etrex Vista HCx when you focuse an object
> with the cursor and Mapsource renders map with lower case letters when
> they are defined. I also confirm Etrex Vista HCx is able to display
> names in lower case letters on some POI types. Upper case letters seem
> to be vectorial letters for polylines.
> Does the option work with latin1 and  codepage 1252 ?

Yes it is only used when a codepage is defined (and in the latest code
latin1 is equivalent to setting a codepage, but that is new, previously it
would not have recognised lower-case with latin1).

> See lower case letters in action on the attached screen captures.

There are situations where uppercase letters in the map are displayed in
lowercase by mapsource and perhaps the GPS.  But on my Legend Cx at least
if there are lower case letters in the map, then they are displayed as tiny
little squiggles.

You have a later GPS, so it may be different.

..Steve