logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] using the polygons file in the styles to add tags to included points?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed May 6 19:10:26 BST 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 09:57:51AM +0200, Gernot Hillier wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Since quite some time, I think that "someone" ;) should fix the problem
> that the Garmin currently has no idea what's inside a city and what not.
>
> This would mainly fix two things:
>
> 1) ETAs in cities are currently terribly wrong if you take a primary
> road. Garmin calculates with road_speed 4 or so while 2 would be much
> more accurate.
>
> 2) Address search and road-name-pois quite often gets the city wrong.

+1.  I don't care that much about 1) [the ETAs will be off for bicycling
and walking anyway], but 2) is very important.

> Today, I stumbled over the "polygon" file in the styles and thought that
> adding a capability to add tags to points in the polygon might be an
> easy to implement first step for an elegant solution here.
>
> I'd love to have the ability of the "relations" file - to manipulate
> included points or ways - also available in the "polygon" file. Thus, we
> could e.g. just add implicit is_in or maxspeed tags automatically to the
> nodes in the area which makes all the other stuff terribly simple.
>
> At least, on the German mailing list, we have frequent "wars" about the
> question if a feature is best implemented using relations, polygons or
> tags at the single nodes.

In Finland, some boundaries have been drawn as polygons and others
as relations.  A flexible solution would be preferrable.

	Marko