logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] using the polygons file in the styles to add tags to included points?

From Gernot Hillier gernot at hillier.de on Sun May 3 08:57:51 BST 2009

Hi there!

Since quite some time, I think that "someone" ;) should fix the problem
that the Garmin currently has no idea what's inside a city and what not.

This would mainly fix two things:

1) ETAs in cities are currently terribly wrong if you take a primary
road. Garmin calculates with road_speed 4 or so while 2 would be much
more accurate.

2) Address search and road-name-pois quite often gets the city wrong.

Today, I stumbled over the "polygon" file in the styles and thought that
adding a capability to add tags to points in the polygon might be an
easy to implement first step for an elegant solution here.

I'd love to have the ability of the "relations" file - to manipulate
included points or ways - also available in the "polygon" file. Thus, we
could e.g. just add implicit is_in or maxspeed tags automatically to the
nodes in the area which makes all the other stuff terribly simple.

At least, on the German mailing list, we have frequent "wars" about the
question if a feature is best implemented using relations, polygons or
tags at the single nodes.

If we would implement a template mechanism in mkgmap for lines and nodes
in polygons, we could support all solutions within "minutes".

What do you think?

--
Gernot