logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Setting up a test environment for mkgmap routing tests

From Thorsten the.real.hik at gmx.net on Mon Apr 27 00:32:58 BST 2009

Hi.

Recently, I have bought a Garmin Oregon 300 and, of course, I soon tried
to build routable maps from openstreetmap data using mkgmap.

After creating maps, routing works sometimes and sometimes not on my
device. For some destinations my Garmin device stops with the error "out
of memory" or even stalls. In the latter case it has to be resetted by
pushing the power button for a approx. 20 seconds or removing the
batteries.

As this is really annoying, I wanted to know if this is a device or a
map problem. For this, I converted my .img map (created by mkgmap) so
that it can be used in mapsource. ... and figured out that also
mapsource can not find a route for some destinations and also stalls.

I am using Linux (Ubuntu/Intrepid) and I thought it might be useful for
others if I comment the steps (below) how I setup a test environment to
[1] use mapsource with wine
[2] convert an .img file so it can be used with mapsource under wine

Please let me know, if there is a simpler way to perform .img to
mapsource conversion!

I know, mkgmap is under heavy development and I really like it. Thank
you for your work!

--
Thorsten

[1] Using Mapsource with wine:

- wine version >=1.1.19 is needed

- download gdiplus, e.g. from
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?gdiplus

- copy library:
$ mv gdiplus.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/gdiplus.dll

- get mapsource.exe, rename it to mapsource.zip, unpack, execute
"MSMAIN.msi" from "wine explorer", execute "wine Setup.exe", install

[2] Convert .img for mapsource

- download gmt (Linux command line version) from
http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html

- create directory:
$ mkdir /home/foo/.wine/drive_c/Garmin/<mappath>

- split with an custom id, e.g. 19,05
$ gmt -S -v -f 19,05 -m EU -o /home/foo/.wine/drive_c/Garmin/<mappath>
<mapname>.img

- execute cgpsmapper (Linux command line)
~/.wine/drive_c/Garmin/EU$ cgpsmapper mapset00.img

- update registry:
gmt created a file "install bat" which should create registry entries.
However, executing this .bat did not work with "wine explorer" so I
created a file map.reg, and imported it with "wine regedit"

----
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Garmin\MapSource\Families]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Garmin\MapSource\Families\FAMILY_19]
"ID"=hex:13,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Garmin\MapSource\Families\FAMILY_19\5]
"Bmap"="C:\\Garmin\\EU\\mapset00.img"
"Loc"="C:\\Garmin\\EU"
"Tdb"="C:\\Garmin\\EU\\mapset00.tdb"

----

After doing this, I can start mapsource. The mapname is not displayed on
the left side. But if I increase the details and zoom into the map the
map data is displayed..