logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing errors on Edge 705 with mkgmap r1010

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Apr 24 19:41:01 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 02:05:13PM +0300, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> The finland.osm translated with r1010 is about 10% smaller than the one
> translated with r1001.  Alas, with r1010, the Garmin Edge 705 often aborts
> the route search with "Route Calculation Error."  This seems to be more
> likely in bicycle and pedestrian routing modes, but I managed to get it
> in car routing too.
>
> Also, when I searched a bicycle or walking route from my home near Helsinki
> to Tornio or Oulu (spanning three or two map tiles), once the suggested
> route started by "flying" over streets.

I didn't observe any of these errors with r1011 and
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/finland.osm.bz2
from today.  Something must have been wrong with the old data set.

By the way, calculating a bicycle route from Helsinki to Oulu, Tornio,
or even just Kuopio (350 km, across a tile boundary) spends several
minutes at 100% and then gives up saying something like "out of memory".
Calculating a car route is just fine.

Please find attached a simple POI patch for the default style that I would
like to be committed.

Best regards,

	Marko