logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] routing / address search: What makes a road (, house number, etc.) belong to a city (, country, etc.)

From Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org on Tue Apr 21 09:06:58 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 07:49:05AM +0200, Gernot Hillier wrote:
> Things which come to my mind to make things belong to others so far, are:
>
> 1) tags on the child like is_in or addr:street/addr:city
> 2) place and boundary polygons for the "parent"
> 3) relations

I am in favour of 2 - But i see some problems

- Missing polygons - Not easy to determin as they are non visible fact.
- Addresses might not always correlate to administrative boundaries.
  Are we shure they do? At least for Phone numbers i am very shure
  they do not match.
- How do you suggest to migrate - I mean we will have years where
  our polygons will not be complete so there need to be multiple ways
  of finding the administrative relation.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little