logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] GPS V?

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Fri Apr 10 19:45:54 BST 2009

I'm new to trying to deal with maps for garmin.  I have been been
adding/fixing OSM data in my town and am trying to get OSM data onto my
Garmin GPS V.  This is a serial device that was one of the very earliest
ones to support mapping.

I went to http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php and asked for the
single map tile that covers my area (Stow, MA, US 01775).

I unzipped to get

  -rw-r--r--  1 gdt  users  158720 Apr 10 11:09 gmapsupp.img

which seems pretty small.  If I run strings I can see POIs, but I wonder
if there are roads.

I used

  $ sendmap17Lstatic /dev/gps -u gmapsupp.img

to upload, and the GPS receiver shows that it has the map, and I can see
POIs, but I see no roads, even when I'm sure they have been in OSM a
long time.  Also, when I had asked for multiple tiles, I got a 2MB .img,
but my GPS V seems to think it only has data in a small subpart of that.

I am running the linux binary of sendmap17Lstatic, but doing so on
NetBSD (which has linux emulation).  It seems to run fine, but I thought
I should mention this.

So:

  Do people think mkgmap maps work on a GPS V?

  Are the na1400.info maps ok (generated today)?

  I am on the verge of buying a Vista HCx.  Will that work 100% ok with
  mkgmap?  It seems so, but I thought I'd ask.

  Any other hints?