logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Feedback: Searchable Addresses (using r991)

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Thu Apr 9 14:07:29 BST 2009

Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 07:36:09PM +0200, Bernhard Heibler wrote:
>
>> Is there anybody who wants to join me in understanding the MDR file ?  I
>> did already some research on the MDR file. Most of the sections I have
>> not decoded until now. The MDR file has about 20 mysterious sections.
>> What I found out so far is that we need at least 7 sections to enable
>> the Nuvi address search. I found this out by removing section by section
>> out of the header of a working MDR file. I have added some code to
>> libgarmin to display some sections of the MDR. I'm able to decode some
>> parts of the city, street and region index.
>>

> Have you looked at the MdrDisplay program in the display svn:
> http://svn.mkgmap.org.uk/display/trunk/src/test/display/MdrDisplay.java
> This contains everything I know about the format.  Hopefully
> you can add to that knowledge.

Might I suggest everyone contributes info to the wiki? I just created a
page for the IMG file as a whole, and I intend to seed it with info from
John Mechelas's 2005 document, then add in all the other info I can find
to try and fill in the gaps - it's here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/IMG_File_Format

You'll see that although it hardly contains any useful info yet, it
mentions the sorts of subfiles contained inside the IMG file, and I
created a placeholder page for the MDR subfile too. Currently, that page
is even more useless than the IMG page (:-)), but it will grow if anyone
thinks (as I do) that this would be a good way to aggregate info as the
file formats are reverse-engineered.

Stone Soup and all that jazz...

( I'm making use of the "wikitable" class in order to keep the
formatting of the info under some sort of control and with a similar
"look and feel" across the pages as they grow (if they grow). You may
know a better method, but this one seems to work OK for Wikipedia. )

Hope it proves useful
Steve