logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Restaurant+hotel not appearing in nuvi

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Apr 1 20:12:44 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 06:20:31PM +0200, Torsten Leistikow wrote:
> Marko Mäkelä schrieb:
> > You can always define separate points for the hotel and the restaurant.
>
> Can you do this with mkgmap when you only have one OSM-node? This is
> rather often the case, like the example with the hotel and the
> restaurant, or you often find a combination of a restaurant with a
> castle, windmill or watermill.

I'm an OSM newbie, and the only bits of mkgmap I have studied so far are
the style files.  There are limitations in the way how tags are assigned
in OSM too.  For example, a fuel station that also acts as a post office
can't be declared both amenity=fuel and amenity=post_office, because key
names must be unique.  Two separate nodes would be needed, or the tagging
would have to change to something like amenity:fuel=Shell,
amenity:post_office=01480 Vantaa.  I think it'd be clearer to have two
separate nodes at least in this case.

> What I would like ot have, is the possibility, to set in the style,
> whether a certain element shall be used exclusivly or whether the
> creation of another garmin map item from the same OSM element shall be
> allowed.

For nodes, that could be useful in some cases.

> The usability of such a feature wouldn't be limited to points. If you
> have a street with an access restriction, you could draw the street
> normally as the first line and add the restriction as a second line. The
> benefit of this approach would be, that you only need one extra line
> type to draw the restrictions for all existing road types.

Would that break routing?  What kind of restrictions do you have in mind?
As far as I understand, oneway=yes/no is a line property in the Garmin
format.  Possibly likewise for the speed limit.  Access to footways and
cycleways is restricted from powered vehicles, but you surely don't suggest
that all footways and cycleways be drawn twice.

	Marko