logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r988: Generate sorted road data to enable finding addresses and intersections.

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Tue Mar 31 10:04:21 BST 2009

Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> AFAIU, the is_in tag is used for search index. My OSM dump (part of Russia) has
> several regions, where is_in tag is put on many streets.

You are supposed to be able to draw a polygon, marked with
"place=village/town/suburb(etc)" and "place_name=whatever" and then all
streets inside the polygon would behave as if they included an
"is_in=whatever" tag on the way. POIs would behave similarly.

See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FAQ#What_makes_a_road_belong_to_a_city.3F

The "is_in" tag is supposed to be used only in exceptional cases.

I've been doing this around my area (South Wales) and where possible,
flagging the polygon with "landuse=residential(etc)" which shades the
map nicely:

See
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.53023&lon=-3.67813&zoom=15&layers=0B00FTF

I sure hope mkgmap makes use of these polygons or I'm wasting my time!!
Steve