logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] An Observation

From Paul news at pointdee.co.uk on Sat Mar 28 12:11:45 GMT 2009

Firstly, thanks for the great work so far.

Having been using my 605 for the past few weeks I've noticed something
that was first mentioned a few weeks ago by someone else but was in the
midst of a flurry of activity so I thought I'd bring it up again as I
too have noticed this. When following a route if you go off course you
seem to have to travel quite a way off course before the device
re-calculates. I don't know whether this is related to Garmin, my 605,
mkgmap or something else so thought it worth mentioning.

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.50969&lon=-2.31557&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF

I was recently following a route on my 605 and travelling down Newhey
Road to the A640 where I had to turn right at the A640 and come back to
the roundabout. I ignored this route and turned right along Ladyhouse
Lane instead. At the end I turned left and approached the roundabout
from the opposite direction to the given route.

At no point did the device recalculate such that when I arrived at the
roundabout I was given the instruction to take the first exit which is
obviously wrong. The "Pink Line" showed me that the first exit was not
what I wanted and I could see my actual approach was different to the
given approach on the live map screen but I would have expected a
recalculation before this occurred.

Cheers

Paul