logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Road Name POIs

From Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com on Thu Mar 12 22:46:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Mark Burton <markb at ordern.com> wrote:
>> http://u.nix.is/gmapsupp.img
>>
>> I just tried loading that map and I can't find anywhere in the Find
>> menu where I can search for streetnames (as before).
>
> That map does contain points with code 0x640a and sensible looking labels.
>
> I loaded it onto my etrex, the RNP show up under "Geographic points"
> and "all POI".
>
> Does your GPS have an option to search for all POI near the current postion?
>
> If so, they should show up as entries of the form ROADNAME/CITYNAME,
> where CITYNAME should be the nearest city/town/hamlet to the road.

Yes, sorry, this much does work, see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avarab/3350284668/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avarab/3350284696/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avarab/3350284728/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avarab/3349455383/

I meant that I can't *search* for addresses, garmin devices have a
feature to search for address substrings if the map supports it. This
is what taxi drivers do when they use the Navi for example, this is
documented e.g. on page 22 in the 60CSx manual:

PDF: http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP60CSx_OwnersManual.pdf
Online copy: http://www.scribd.com/doc/8552192/Garmin-60CSX-Portable-GPS-Manual

I've misunderstood what the --road-name-pois feature did. I thought
the Garmin device automatically implemented address search if the
roads had the correct metadata (POIs), but that seems not to be the
case.

This feature as-is is pretty useless for what Address search would be
used for, there you want to explicitly search for things that aren't
nearby (across the whole map). And even if you're looking for nearby
things a substring search is better than having to page through a
list.

But thanks for your efforts in getting this much to work at least.