logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] POI and routing with multiple tiles

From stefan at binaervarianz.de stefan at binaervarianz.de on Thu Mar 12 18:40:52 GMT 2009

> I haven't tried myself, but I think merging two osm files should be
> nearly as simple as copy them both into one file. Should only need
> small work whit the header lines to get a valid xml file.

I've just read in another forum that merged osm files from geofabrik
regions will still not route correctly cause the ways and shapes along
the border don't get merged in a sensible way. Even when using osmosis.

Has anyone tried this yet? I imagine the routing needs connected ways
to route along and there is no code in splitter or mkgmap which would
re-connect the broken ways on the borders. Even for osmosis it would
be impossible to know which ways to connect. It's probably no save
assumption to just merge every way with overlapping nodes on the border.

'Cause I need the map tomorrow, I will probably stick to the whole of
europe for this time.

BTW:
The mentioned mkgmap warning is

Can't set city point index for THALMANNSBACH (too many indexed points
in division)

for this and many other places. Just say so if you are interested in
the other city names. I don't quite know if this is a problem in
mkgmap, in the mapdata or simply something mkgmap can't do (yet).

regards

Stefan