logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] POI and routing with multiple tiles

From Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de on Thu Mar 12 08:11:26 GMT 2009

Stefan Aschenbach wrote:

> - Downloaded .osm.bz files from geofabrik for thuringia(GER),
> bavaria(GER) and austria.
> - unpacked each file and processed each with splitter (I used the
> -mapid= switch to produce files with consecutive names)
> - thuringia produced 1 tile, bavaria 4 tiles and austria 6

Inter-tile routing will only work if you split _one_ OSM file with the
mkgmap splitter.

> Output of mkgmap run:
>
> - Some bad turning restrictions

Most probably wrong OSM data.

> Is the intended workflow really: download the whole of europe, use
> splitter and mkgmap, use mapsource to identify interesting tiles, throw
> away the other ones and run mkgmap again?

Yes. You can cut out a part of the europe OSM file before splitting,
e.g. with osmosis. That's what I do for generating my hiking map
(http://www.kleineisel.de/ralf/gps/garmin/, not routable yet). Otherwise
you cannot predict where the borders of the tiles will be.