logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Inter tile routing problems

From Wolfgang v. Hansen wvhansen at fom.fgan.de on Wed Mar 11 07:26:59 GMT 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:

> In general it's working great now
> did a couple of tests with a Etrex Vista and Mapsource Main problem is the
> Garmin algorithm not the map itself. It will always try to find the way
> crossing less tiles instead choosing the shortest/fastest route. If I insert
> a through point the whole route is perfect.

This is an interesting observation. Do you experience the same with the
original Garmin maps? OTOH, my experience with Garmin routing for long
distances (on City Navigator) is that you normally get a route along the
Autobahn. Often the result will be neither the shortest nor the fastest
path.

> Is there an option for the splitter to create chessboard like tiles same as
> in Garmin maps?  Still like to use the maxnode feature and the alignment to
> the map grid.

No. You would need a real chessboard pattern for that as any adaptive
approach has small tile sizes in densely populated areas and large ones
outside. Maybe you want to be routed around large towns anyway? :-)

I think the splitter could be programmed as such quite easily (though I
don't know the source code). For instance, you could start with a raster
of large square tiles and divide each into four quarters if there are too
many nodes inside.

-Wolfgang