logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] how-to in using mkgmap

From Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com on Tue Mar 10 05:00:50 GMT 2009

Did some  trials to find a working combination. these options worked
for me. I use MapsetToolkit to install/uninstall maps for Mapsource.

tile splitter --mapid=41000001
mapid must be a 8 digit number, last digit should be 1, multiple tiles
will be numbered with increasing numbers,
mkgmap will then use the same number for .img files

mkgmap options to use maps in Mapsource, don't use other options like
mapname, product-id ....
- series-name should be set to identify multiple maps in Mapsource
when selecting them. If not used all maps are name "OSM Map"
- family-id must be set to different values for multiple maps to make
them available in parallel in Mapsource
- overview-mapname must be 8 digits otherwise Mapsource crashes.
optional but nice to name the overview map same as map tiles. mkgmap
default is to name 1st tile xxxxxxx1 ... and overview map xxxxxxx0
- family-name, description are optional, not sure where this info is
used, maybe on the device.

tdbfile
family-id=41
family-name=OSM_xxxx