logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r961: Improve city detection in non-geodb countries.

From Bernhard Heibler bernhard at heibler.de on Mon Mar 2 22:02:18 GMT 2009

Hi Steve,

thanks for checking in this patch. Unfortunately I detected one more
problem. It looks like the Nuvi doesn't like your new sorting of the
city list. I must admit that I like your new sorting much cleaner then
the old one.
But it looks like the old sorting of the TreeMap was just by luck the
right one. The nuvi seams to run a binary search on this list and fails
to find some cities if the sort order is not perfect. It also leaves
away the country info for such cities it can not find in the city list.
I compared the old and the new sorting and played around with the Locale
setting of the Collator but didn't found a setting that matches.

The new sort order seams to cut out whitespaces in names. The old one
sorted space before A which was ok for the nuvi. The Germany Umlauts
like Ä where sorted after Z now Ä cames after A which seams also not
right for the nuvi.

It would be interesting which function TreeMap uses to sort strings ...

Thanks
Berni.