logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] POI Adresses

From Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org on Thu Feb 26 23:40:05 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:07:11PM +0100, Bernhard Heibler wrote:
> I also don't like the auto filling that much. Problem is that with the
> current osm data most location will end up in the default country /
> region since is_in tagging is rare for hamlets in Germany. This will
> make it difficult to distinguish between hamlets with same name in the
> city list. And in most other countries situation is even worse. I don't
> have a problem to disable the heuristic by default as long as there is a
> switch to enable it ...

I made a slippy map overlay (.de only) for is_in which do not fit into
the complete hierarchie - http://autobug.osm.rfc822.org - zoom in a
little to let the icons pop up ...

Together with the OSMXAPI link on the left one can download the place
nodes in view and edit them quite quickly with JOSM.

So there are quick tools to solve the is_in hierarchy problems ...

Here is some html/csv/text output:

	http://autobug.osm.lab.rfc822.org/lists/

for all places in Germany. I fixed most of the broken is_in in NRW but
did not fix all missing/empty is_in ... But once there is a real need
and people see use for it i guess it'll be fixed quickly ...

But there are more problems lurking - Sometimes the County (Kreis) has
the same name as a City (Kreis Gütersloh -> Gütersloh). This bug was
introduced by the geonames import which imported 2 nodes with different
place type but same name. I corrected the node names too so Gutersloh
with place=county became "Kreis Gütersloh" to be different to the City
Gütersloh.

> I experimented a little bit with ZIP data provided by geonames.org. This
> seams to help to improve the quality of the heuristic in non opengeodb
> countries. But this datasource also provides points and no polygons so
> it will be still guessing. I also looked a little bit in using
> administrative boundary data for the region naming but I'm not sure if
> the data sources are good enough ...

They arent existing most of the time ...

> I hope I could provide a patch with your suggestions on the weekend ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little