logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] POI Adresses

From Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org on Thu Feb 26 11:18:45 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:34:17PM +0100, Paul Ortyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tested the latest version of patch from Bernhard Heibler.  I
> can see, that as far as the data is correct, the patch works fine with
> my etrex and should be merged to the trunk possibly soon.  I do not
> know what to think about --location-autofill option.  The missing data
> should be corrected at the source and not heuristicly patched in
> mkgmap.  For this purpose a tool for listing POIs with incomplete
> addresses could be created.  I would like to have the default
> behaviour of --pois-addresses flipped.  I mean add the addresses

I second this - Make pois-addresses the default - remove heuristics
until explicitly asked for and remove the "Fix My Address" fill string
if there is nothing.

> wherever the data is available and allow the user strip the address
> information with --no-poi-adresses for creating smaller maps or maps
> targeted to devices, which have no use for address/phone information.
> One feature, which has already been mentioned last week are POIs for
> buildings.  It is really a shame, that the better mapped parts of
> cities get stripped of all restaurants/hotels/supermarkets/... which
> are already existing on the map as buildings/polygons.  Even if
> solutions in submitted patches are not ideal from the performance
> point of view, please create the users an option for creating complete
> map, at the cost of performance.
>
> Has anybody an idea how to cram into the POI information shown on the
> Garmin such things like opening_hours?

I guess its just a string presented to the user isnt it?

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little