logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] patch to correct plazas in default style

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Mon Feb 23 12:36:37 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Ben Konrath <ben at bagu.org> wrote:

> I just discovered the "human made area" Garmin polygon (0x13) which seems to
> be a better choice for these pedestrian squares. An updated patch is
> attached. Let me know how it works for you.

Hm... this polygon type (0x13) is not documented in the
garmin_feature_list.csv file in the mkgmap resources directory, is it?
Where did you find it?

I tried out a somewhat different approach for for squares and plazas:
I found an unused polygon type (0x1b) and added a tiled bitmap for
this polygon to the TYP file I use. The bitmap, with a lot of
imagination, represents what I could picture as a flagstoned or
cobblestoned area. As well, I added 0x1b to my polygon style file.

I  have attached a Mapsource screen shot of the result. The screen
shot is of Piazza San Pietro in Vatican City. Personally, I think this
looks rather nice, but that is a matter of taste and politics. ;-)

However, I'm not sure what consequences these polygon types would have
for pedestrian/bicycle routing. It would be inconvenient if
pedestrians were always routed around plazas and squares as if these
areas were impassible obstacles.

Cheers.