logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Find by name - experimental patch

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at jemila.jazztel.es on Fri Jan 30 13:18:24 GMT 2009

Mark Burton escribió:
> Hi Carlos,
>

>> Thanks for implementing find by name feature. I've been trying to test
>> it in a nuvi 300, but I didn't succeed. I used r856 to generate a map
>> typing:
>> /java -enableassertions -jar mkgmap.jar --route --latin1 --gmapsupp
>> --country-name=Espa\361a ../osm2mp/viajes.mp/
>>

> That looks OK - I haven't tried using --route recently but I can't think
> why that would make a difference to the find stuff.
>

>> If I try to search in the resulting map by address, no State/Province is
>> found in the database. Also if I try to spell a city, no one appears.
>> What I'm I doing wrong? Could you explain how to get this new feature
>> functioning? Best in wiki [1] to be useful for more people.
>>

> I have only tested this on a eTrex Vista.
>
> I am only finding cities by name, not general POIs.
>
> On the etrex, I use the icons to go to Find and then City. At that
> point, it will list the names of cities nearby and you can then either pick
> one of the listed names or use the menu to select the "find by name"
> function. It then lets me enter the name using the joystick and does the
> incremental search.

I see the find function interface is different in eTrex and Nuvi. In
nuvi, you have several ways to find a place:
-Address: when you select this one, you are prompted about a
State/Province and you have to spell it. If your spelling doesn't match
a name in the device database you can't continue with the next step,
City/Postal code. Currently no State name appears in my mkgmap generated
maps, despite the use of --country-name option.
-Find by name: you can spell name of any POI. As cities are treated as
poi's (if I understood right), they should be in the database, but they
aren't.
> Just a thought, try setting a country abbreviation as well as the name. On the
> etrex, the city names all have the abbreviation as a suffix.

I did, but nothing changed.

--
Por favor, no me envíe documentos con extensiones .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .mdb, mdbx

Instale OpenOffice desde http://es.openoffice.org/programa/index.html
OpenOffice es libre: se puede copiar, modificar y redistribuir libremente.
OpenOffice es gratis.
El uso de OpenOffice es totalmente legal.
OpenOffice funciona mejor que otros paquetes de oficina.
OpenOffice está en continuo desarrollo y no tendrá que pagar por las nuevas versiones.