logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Find by name - experimental patch

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Thu Jan 29 20:18:33 GMT 2009

Hi Bernard,

> thanks for the patch. I just tested your code with my nuvi 360 and the
> city search seams to work. I only had to add 2 null pointer checks
> otherwise I ran into exceptions. Looks like I have some unnamed cities
> in my area. Patch is attached ...

Thanks for the patch, I will incorporate it.

> I also did some experiments on the point index city stuff some weeks
> ago. I think I was really close but the city search never worked for me.
> Maybe I just stopped too early because I checked the effects in
> GPSMapEdit and city list was always screwed up. Looks like point index
> support is broken in it since "your" maps will also screw up GPSMapEdit
> city list.

Yes, I have now fixed the problem so that gpsmapedit city
list is not broken - new patch will be issued shortly

However, it still doesn't enable the "find by name" menu option in
mapsource. I am trying to find out why but as I don't use mapsource,
I am not so motivated!

> Anyway I could provide some experimental code which automatically fills
> the country, region information at least for areas where OpenGeoDB
> information is imported into osm. I think this is only available for
> Germany, Austria and Switzerland right now. I also have added
> Simple/Complex Housenumber and Phone Support for POIs. I fill in this
> information using the Karlsruhe Address Tags.
>
> I think I could send a experimental patch with my changes in the next
> days. Have to update my working branch first ...

My latest code allows you to specify country/region through options. It
would certainly be good to also have an option "autodetect-region" or similar
that does the internet lookup.

Cheers,

Mark