logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Find by name - experimental patch

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Wed Jan 28 22:01:30 GMT 2009

Hi Folks,

I recently discovered OSM, josm, mkgmap, etc. it's interesting stuff.

As part of my contribution to the general effort, I have been working
on getting the garmin "find by name" function working with city names
contained in maps generated from OSM files.

I believe I have the basis of a solution and the attached patch works for
me - YMMV.

I am posting it here so that it can be tested on more maps and gps types
(I am using a etrex vista) and see if it works OK.

Note that the patch hard codes the map's country name
to GBR (UNITED KINGDOM). Obviously, that will need to be configurable but
I haven't yet worked out the best way of achieving that.

You must use a non-6 bit character set. I use the --latin1 option.

So, if you can, please try the attached patch and see if it works for you.

Obviously, if it breaks other stuff, we need to fix that right away.

Cheers,

Mark