logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin "Feature" or bug?

From Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de on Tue Jan 27 08:29:09 GMT 2009

Hi,

Robert Vollmert wrote:

>> On a Garmin etrex there are at least two "find" options - "Find by
>> Name" and "Nearest Containing".  The first of these searches the base
>> map and the second the supplementary (OSM) map.  I'm guessing that the
>> user interface on the Edge has different options?
>
> I suspect the etrex would search the OSM map with "Find by Name" also,
> provided the relevant data was being written, which I suspect it is not.
> Not that I know anything about the addressing information.

that seems to be correct. The menu items in my eTrex Legend HCx depend on
the map I use. With a map generated by mkgmap I get the described behaviour,
i.e. I can only "Find nearest". The menu in <Find> <Cities> <Menu button>
contains only three options.

When I use a map from http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/download.html which was
generated with cgpsmapper I can do:
<Find> <Cities>
The it shows the "Nearest" dialogue page. When I press the Menu button I get
 a menu with four entries instead of three: "Find by name", "Find nearest",
"Select map" and "Change reference". If i choose "Find by name" it searches
the OSM map and the basemap. If I enter "Hamburg" it shows me several
Hamburgs in the US (from the basemap) and Hamburg in Germany from the OSM map.