logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Program exit codes

From Toby Speight T.M.Speight.90 at cantab.net on Tue Jan 20 19:03:42 GMT 2009

0> In article <4975F623.504 at gmx.de>,
0> Torsten Leistikow <URL:mailto:de_muur at gmx.de> ("Torsten") wrote:

Torsten> Toby Speight schrieb:

>> I've written a makefile to turn SRTM elevation data into vector contour
>> maps (I'll write it up on OpenStreetMap.org once I'm happy with it).

Torsten> This sounds like SRTM2OSM.

That's what I started with, but I wanted to use the void-filled
data from CGIAR (the SRTM data are quite poor in Wester Ross).  I
know it's a non-free dataset, but the benefit is worth the sacrifice
to principle!  Rather than convert the geotiffs into srtm2osm's
format, it seemed more sensible to just work with standard tools
such as gdal_contour.

The workflow is

(zip) -> unzip -> (geotiff, 5°x5°) -> gdal_translate ->
  (geotiff, 1°x1°) -> gdal_contour -> (shape) ->
  gpsbabel -> perl -> gzip -> (compressed OSM)

leaving me with the goods for mkgmap.

Torsten> I have an handbuild example osm-file for testing my own
Torsten> map-symbols, and this uses purely negative ID values without
Torsten> any problems.

Ah, good - I'll investigate further.  Thanks for your help.